by Brion Hurley
Rise Against Hunger is an international hunger relief nonprofit organization founded in 1998 that distributes food and life-changing aid to the world’s most vulnerable, mobilizing the necessary resources to end hunger by 2030. To date, they have packaged 450 million meals in 74 countries. Related to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, RAH’s effort help impact Goal #2, Zero Hunger.
Based on their implementation of lean, Six Sigma, systems thinking and engineering principles, they have been named the inaugural winner of the IISE Excellence in Sustainable Development Award for 2019.
In addition to the CDW model, the following lean tools were deployed in the warehouses to further improve efficiency and productivity.
- SIPOC diagram
- Value Stream Mapping (VSM)
- 5S workplace organization
- Facility layout changes
After the CDW and lean improvements were implemented, RAH experienced the following results:
- Brought Days of Supply (DOS) down from 82 to 52 in just 8 short months
- 2nd most accurate soy ordering, forecasting and ordering for 6 separate markets and satellite locations
- Created a safer work environment for staff and volunteers
- Obtained compliance with FDA, CA law and OSHA
- Effective operation model supported in the growth of 200% in satellite community engagement locations
- 57% increase in productivity
- Increased the number of meals packed for our recipients from 8,163,072 meals packed in CA to 11,751,472
- Increased the longevity of our meals by ensuring FIFO is enforced, which gives our recipients a longer period to stretch the meals
- Improved the data saving the company overhead costs on non-value added activities and processes
- More streamlined processes allow for the receiving and sending out GIK (Gift-in-Kind) donations, such as protein powder
Read the rest of the article at: https://www.biz-pi.com/rise-against-hunger-awarded-inaugural-iise-excellence-in-sustainable-development-award/