by Brion Hurley
For the 6th year in a row, the Sustainable Development Division of IISE coordinated a volunteer event prior to the annual conference. The event took place at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Orlando, Florida on May 19th, 2018.
The group of systems and industrial engineers and lean consultants made progress on key tasks for the store, then met with the management to provide suggestions for improvement, such as:
- Create segmentation on floor in warehouse
- Move cleaning station near breaker boxes
- Continue to enhance pricing guide
- Display map of showroom floor
- General implementation of 5S workplace organization principles
For ongoing support in Orlando, the local student chapter at the University of Central Florida (UCF) will continue to work with the organization on these improvement ideas.