The Newport News Police Department went through a kaizen event to help them improve their booking process. Their goal was to get police officers back on the street more quickly, in order to respond to community emergencies in a more timely manner.
Changes that were made included:
- Move the booking process responsibilities from police officers to deputies
- Have an assigned sheriff position created to help with arrestees
- Bring the initial medical assessment step of the process up earlier
- Improve flow of the parking and entrance into the facility
- Clearly define requirements when hospital treatment is needed prior to booking
The initial changes resulted in a better process for everyone and over 3,000 hours of annual savings in police officer time (this is the equivalent of 1 ½ extra police officers on the street). Finally, the team established an Intake Advisory Team (IAT) to help implement recommendations and continue reducing processing times.
Read the entire article at https://www.lean.org/LeanPost/Posting.cfm?LeanPostId=457