Arizona Department of Transportation (DOT) is focused on becoming the most reliable transportation system in the nation. This is part of a larger Arizona Management System, a professional, results-driven management system that focuses on customer value and vital mission outcomes for citizens.
Here are a few examples from the Arizona DOT…
- Reverse Diamond Stencil – Staff identified a way to reduce the cost to taxpayers for repainting the diamond symbols using a reusable stencil, which also reduces the time that the highways are closed to the public.
- Maintenance Yard Cone Truck Improvements – A worker in Yuma came up with a better visual control to reduce errors and delays when placing and picking up construction cones
- Windshield Washer Tablets Save Time, Money and Space – Tucson technician recommends a different method for refilling windshield fluid using tablets
- Retrofitting Overhead Message Boards – New LED system saves energy, requires less cost and maintenance
- Pump House Gemba Walk – Management go to the gemba with staff to uncover problems and learn more about the work and challenges they go through
- Improvements Help Handle Increased International Traffic into Port – ADOT is working to speed up processing time at ports to increase commerce and save time
Additional improvements include:
- Repurposing spare tires saving time and money
- Faster ways to fill a water tank, saving time on weed treatment
- Vehicle for hire application process reduced from 6 hours to 10 minutes
- Crawling under semis in the name of continuous improvement