A lean event was conducted to look at the Iowa Utilities Board’s (IUB) current electronic filing process from the time a record is submitted through retention. The goal was to increase efficiencies, reduce process time from submission to user availability by 50%, and to achieve 100% compliance with retention standards. The event plan resulted in a 40% increase in value added activities, a 30% reduction in total steps, a 30% reduction in decisions, and a 40% reduction in loop backs.
These were accomplished through:
- reduced records center processing steps
- more standardization built into the process to reduce errors
- more automation
- eliminated duplicate copies of documents
- more secure logon procedures
- creating an ongoing committee to review functionality of system